Skip to content

Traveling abroad by car - a checklist of essential items

Before heading to another country, make sure you have all the necessary documents and permits. In the following text, we’ve highlighted the essential items to check before embarking on your journey. Our recommendation is to visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and look for general travel advice before departure. This advice includes additional useful information such as customs regulations and how to handle unpredicted situations.


A valid passport is an essential document for every driver and passenger traveling outside Serbia’s borders. Exceptions include Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, and Albania, where you can enter with an ID card.

Vehicle registration

Make sure you’ve brought your vehicle registration, as it may be requested at the border. Additionally, ensure that your windshield displays a valid registration sticker.

International driving permit

Some countries require an International driving permit. Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia website to see which countries require it. The International driving permit is issued by the Auto-Moto Association of Serbia in your city and is valid for three years.

Putovanje u inostranstvo autom - najbitnije stavke

Insurance policy

You must have your insurance policy with you when traveling abroad, regardless of the fact that the registration sticker implies that you have paid the legally required liability insurance.

Green Card

The Green Card is an international certificate of liability insurance and providing proof that your vehicle has insurance coverage during its use abroad. You can check on the website of the Auto-Moto Association of Serbia to find out which countries require it.

European Accident Statement

This form, obtained with your motor liability insurance policy, is mandatory to have in your vehicle when traveling abroad. It can simplify the procedure in the case of a minor traffic accident where there are no injuries, and the participants agree on responsibility for the damage without the need to call the police.

Authorization for driving someone else’s vehicle abroad

This authorization serves as proof that a driver can travel with someone else’s vehicle abroad based on the owner’s signed permission. It is issued for a maximum period of one year and is valid for an unlimited number of trips abroad within the specified timeframe.

Certificate for gas system (LPG)

If you have installed a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) or compressed natural gas (CNG) system in your car, be sure to carry the approval certificate (atest) with you. The inspection of the LPG system can be done at authorized laboratories, and the certificate of inspection is necessary and obtained from the Agency for Traffic Safety.

Documents and certificates for pets 

Temporary entry of pets into a foreign country is possible if identification is provided via a chip or stamp. Additionally, you’ll need a health certificate and proof of rabies vaccination.

Additional recommendations 

• Bring along photocopies of the first page of your passport and ID card. 
• Avoid keeping all your documents in one place. 
• Consider obtaining health insurance for the planned period of stay abroad from authorized insurance companies.